Schedule a consultation with an Immigration Attorney (212) 213-8275 (Se habla espanol)

Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) and Driver’s Licenses

August 24, 2012  |  There are no comments  |  by admin  |  Blog

Would I be able to get a driver’s license if I am granted Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA)?

This is one of the most commonly asked questions from our Deferred Action clients. It all depends on a state. Sadly, Nebraska and Arizona are both set on denying driver’s licenses to Deferred Action beneficiaries. On a bright side, so far these are the only states that are expressly denying this privilege.

Some States Indicated They Would Issue Driver’s Licenses to Deferred Action (DACA) Beneficiaries.

It is our hope that more states would follow California’s suit. California, a state with the largest population of potential Deferred Action applicants, took an admirable and a straightforward stance on the issue. Once an individual gets Deferred Action, they also become eligible for driver’s license in California. In addition to California, Texas, Georgia and North Carolina have all indicated that they would issue driver’s licenses to Deferred Action (DACA) beneficiaries. In NY and NJ, driver’s license applicants who present a work permit, SSN and are in possession of other documents required by a 6 point system should be approved.

Many Advantages to Deferred Action Policy.

An ability to get driver’s license is one of the many advantages of Deferred Action (DACA) policy. Under this program, eligible individuals are able to obtain work permits and SSN numbers. And, US government would stop removal proceedings of eligible individuals. Educate yourself on Deferred Action (DACA) requirements and Deferred Action FAQs available in both English and Spanish.

Deferred Action (DACA) application period only opened a week ago, but we’ve already filed many DACA applications for our clients. By filing so many different and complex Deferred Action applications, we at Valentini Law Offices are developing unique hands-on insight and expertise in this new policy. You could benefit from our expertise by contacting Deferred Action Lawyer for a confidential case evaluation and consultation in Spanish or English. When coming in or calling in for a consultation, please make sure to bring your passport and, if available, an I-94 (otherwise known as “white card”) and school and immunization records.

Posted in Blog. Bookmark the permalink.